SEO is a technique which helps search engines find and rank your site higher than the millions of other sites in response to a search query. SEO thus helps you get traffic from search engines.
Search engine optimization is a methodology of strategies, techniques and tactics used to increase the amount of visitors to a website by obtaining a high-ranking placement in the search results page of a search engine (SERP) — including Google, Bing, Yahoo and other search engines.
Some tips for effective On Page SEO:-
1) Do a keywords research using Google adwords keywords tool using you main product/service names and what your targeted users would be typing in Google to find businesses like yours.
2) Create Optimized Meta tags (Title, Description and Keyword tags) using your shortlisted keywords. The length of the title tag length should be 60-70 characters and the Meta tag length should be 160-170 characters max.
3) Write good, helpful content targeted towards your customers using the shortlisted keywords. The keywords density should not be above 2 to 3%. So that means for every 100 words your each keyword should not be repeated more than 2 to 3 times and not more than 3 to 4 keywords are used in that frequency. Interlink the content between pages using ahrefs (keywords in links).
4) Rename pictures with keywords that best describe them.
5) Add Google, Yahoo and Bing sitemaps. These can be created using various free tools onlines.
6) Add 404 pages.
7) Create Facebook, Twitter, Youtube, Blogger etc, pages for your business and link them to your website. Post regular updates in your business on these.